Practising as a Naturopath, it is evident the dangerous impact toxins cause on the health of the body. As the elimination organs become stressed, this can lead to many health conditions including hormonal imbalances such as Oestrogen dominance. The skin is your largest organ therefore many of these toxins are sourced from substances which absorb into your system, via the skin.
Consuming a nutritious diet of predominantly organic produce is one of my top values. I also take care of what I expose myself to through any products used on my hair, skin, nails and teeth- avoiding dangerous chemicals and using products containing healing properties of natures medicine.
Over the years I have experimented with many new natural beauty products on the market and can finally say I have a number of products I am happy to use and rotate between on a regular basis. It is important to know what you are using is free from harmful phthalates, parabens and sodium lauryl sulphate.
Specific nasties to watch out for on labels, include:
- Abbreviations: PEG, PPG, MEA, DEA, TEA, BHA, BHT, DMDM, D&C, FD&C
- ‘eth’ ingredients: oleth, cateareth, laureate, steareth
- Parabens: ethyl paraben, methyl paraben, proply paraben, butyl paraben
- Fragrance: fragrance, parfum, perfume
- Ingredients ending in: oxynal, polysorbate, methicone
- Synthetic alcohols: benzyl, butyl, isopropyl, myristyl, propyl
- Vegetable wax, emulsifying wax
- Others: mineral oil, petrolatum, petroleum jelly, paraffin, butylene glycol, imadazolidinyl urea, coco beatine, propylene glycol
Want some healthy alternatives? Here’s what toxin-free, natural body care products I’m loving right now:
- Red Seal Natural SLS Free Mineral Based Toothpaste
- Dr Hirshams Tooth Mousse
- doTERRA OnGuard Toothpaste. You can get your own here.
TEETH WHITENER & MOUTH WASH
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil with 3 drops Oregano Oil (15-20 mins of swishing in mouth in the morning)
- Charcoal tooth powder (but hold off using this regularly to avoid abrasive effects on your enamel)
- Evohe Cleanse* (use code 'glow' to get 10% off)
- Enjo Face Glove
For the face:
- Evohe Repair Intensive* (for acne)
- Evohe Moisture 24/7 Lite*
- Evohe 3,6,9 serum to create a gorgeous glow underneath makeup (use code 'glow' to get 10% off)
- My favourite is 1 drop doTERRA Frankincense essential oil, 2 drops doTERRA Yarrow Pom oil and a squirt of Evohe 3,6,9
For the body:
- Coconut Oil
- Emu Oil (also effective for cracked heels). Pick up some here.
- Evohe Reapir Intensive
- A DIY blend of fractionated coconut oil, Copaiba, Grapefruit & Frankincense essential oil
- Evohe Mineral Makeup (use code 'glow' to get 10% off)
- Inika Bronzer & Mascara
- Zoya Nailpolish (Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate & Camphor free)
- Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Lip Balm. Find it here.
- Black Chicken Paste
- Bi-carb applied after wetting the armpit
- doTERRA Balance deodorant
- The Ones You Love
- Lavanila Laboratories Vanilla Coconut
- Van Der Faun Eau De Parfum
- DIY with your own essential oils (my favs are Sandalwood and Citrus; Rose & Jasmine)
- DIY Hand Wash. Find my recipe here
- Divine By Therese Kerr Moisturising Hand Wash
- Ms Brown Bergamot Hand Wash