I get it, Easter is a time to savour treats that wouldn’t usually sneak into your diet. If however you would rather not upset your healthy eating regimen, keep your gut health in check but still enjoy a hot cross bun, this recipe is for you!
Adapt to suit your dietary choices (diary free, paleo etc) and relish this Good Friday, or anytime if the recipe is a winner for you!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup raw honey
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2/3 cup butter, ghee or more coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup chocolate melts, blitzed (I use these organic 100% cacao melts) or you can use 1/2 cup raisins for a sweeter, more traditional Hot Cross Bun
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
pinch Cletic sea or Peruvian Pink salt
3 drops doTERRA On Guard essential oil blend
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO DO:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Grease a large oven tray or baking dish with coconut oil
- In a large bowl, sift in your almond meal, coconut flour and nutmeg and mix well
- Add the eggs, honey, melted oil and mix in well
- Add the On Guard drops and your chocolate bits and further mix
- Spoon scoops of the mixture into your hands and roll into balls before placing in your baking dish
- Add your coconut and tapioca flour to a small bowl and gradually add water, continually mixing until it forms a thin paste. Either add to a piping bag and pipe on your crosses or carefully drizzle on with a spoon -I did the latter and although it takes a steady hand, it’s quicker 🙂
- Add to the oven and bake for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool and then remove from baking tray/ dish and enjoy with grass fed butter, ghee or nut butter
Have a wonderful Easter!
If you're looking for more healthy meal inspo, head over here.